While looking for a new job, I decided to remain in Hong Kong. I have longed dreamt of the chance to have a break from work and go travelling. I went off on small trips to the Philippines to revisit Baguio, took long walks in Hanoi, was awed by the temples of Angkor, caught up with an old friend in Jakarta, and lazed around and flew kites in Bali. (getting jealous? ;-P)
In October of the same year, my former company rehired me as a contractor and sent me on a project in Shanghai. I wasn't really keen to work in the mainland but Shanghai is a cool city and it was apparently one of THE places to be for foreigners at that time. So I went.
By that time, I had already let go of my Hong Kong flat, most of my belongings were in boxes stored in a warehouse in Kwun Tong, and I was crashing at my friend's couch. With 2 suitcases, I went to Shanghai, but as a matter of company policy, I flew back every two weeks to what was theoretically my city of residence, Hong Kong.
It was at this point that I felt my life was in limbo: I didn't really "live" anywhere; I had no flat of my own; I was practically living out of a suitcase; I was shutlling among three cities none of which was home. I liked Shanghai enough and had a great time living there, but it was a temporary arrangement and realistically, I would not have been able to live there longer than I needed to. While I missed being in Hong Kong and my friends, going back to Hong Kong was slightly depressing because I had to crash at my friends' couch/air bed (and for that I am eternally grateful!but I felt I was already too old to be doing that. And while Manila will always be home in my heart, I don't really "live" there anymore having lived away for more than five years. An article in Newsweek would describe all this as being "worldly" and being a "citizen of the world". To me it was just unsettling.
It was during this backpacking trip that I suprisingly found my current job, which eventually took me to Singapore.
Now, with a full-time permanent job , my own flat with a proper bed, and a new set of friends (who are all lovely people), I am in limbo no more.
9 comments:
i'm so happy you found your way here :-)
i'm so happy you found your way here :-)
Me too, Itsy. (Even if this city is on the borring side ;-P)
and we're glad you came to join us! we'll paint the town red! and green! and yellow! and orange! and pink! and gold! and mauve!
Hey Suze, finally got to your blog. I love this entry, although I'd suggest making your images bigger as they are lovely :-) Happy to have met you too!
Thanks mcsister! I did make some of these images bigger, just not in my blog. They're scattered around my flat. :)
me too sooziwu, i love this entree! what an experience! and despite all that... i'm glad we met. and looking forward to knowing you more!
smile!
oh oh...question, how did u do that? the photos are in between the paragraphs of your entree..what layout did u choose?? tips tips on bloggiing :-)
thanks catwife!
for the pics, i choose the layout "none". it will allow you to freely move and resize your pics using your cursor.
Post a Comment